CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Icky The Cardboard Geek

It's here! Finally!


I got an email from FedEx yesterday saying that a package for me was scheduled to arrive today and when the details said "GP Manila" I knew it was my cheque!

So I got home just now and there it was, and even though I know that I won and I knew that it was coming, it gave me a sense of realism when I held the cheque in my hand. I thought to myself, "I won $500 for playing a card game!" muahahahahahaha :-p

It's a different feeling, for me at least, after winning a tournament, and after receiving the prize. When I won a 160GB Apple TV in a side event tournament during Pro Tour KL, after winning the last round, it was exciting, but after holding the Apple TV in my hands, it was like "whoa!"

I think that it's the whole prospect of, as I mentioned earlier, getting rewarded for playing a game that I love. Thinking back to my first tournament, I have definitely gone a long way.

Call me a loser if you like, but I've been playing Magic for 10 years now! 10 freaking years!

I may be a super cardboard geek, but at least I'm happy :-)

My first "success" of winning something "big" was a side event at Grand Prix KL, I think it was in 2002. It was nothing great, just a little side event, but I had gotten my 1st ever 1st place finish! The prize was just a box of boosters (RM320 retail) but it was just so exciting for me!

I'm happy at where I am right now, and although I don't expect to be a full time pro player (because there's just no money in that), I do hope to be playing in higher level events.

Things I have to do before I can quit playing Magic:-

- Win a Nationals Championship trophy
- Top 8 a Grand Prix
- Top 8 a Pro Tour
- Qualify and play in Worlds under the National Team

Ambitious? You bet, but if I don't set a goal, I won't achieve anything!

Oh well, current goal right now? Pass my exams... hahaha

Take care and have a nice day!

0 comments: