CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Icky the Intern

And so I started working, Interning actually. Started in January, in this Islamic Bank called Kuwait Finance House. Funny thing, I actually was just up for any job cos I was bored and my lifestyle was quite rubbish (sleep at random hours for random period of times and eating random food at random hours), so I figured that a job would help get me diciplined for when college starts. Anyways, so Jeff was already interning here and I asked him if I could too and so I had to write a resume, send it in and everything and I got the job. I started work on the first day still not knowing what company it was, I only figured out that it was actually a bank when some of them were thinking of how to get more customers and let people know that Kuwait Finance House is a bank. At that point I was like "aaaahhhhh!"

I told myself I'll never be one of those dudes to work in KL and drive back and forth through the jam everyday and here I am, hahaha. It's not that bad though, music helps the drive alot. Also, I'm sleeping at a more consistant time now. Lacking alot of sleep, but consistantly :-p
It's been making me think though, about how it's gonna be if I end up having an office job like this for after I graduate. Let's see

Work starts at 8.30am, it takes about an hour to get to work, meaning I have to leave the house by 7.30am.
Allocating about 30 minutes to get ready, I have to start preparing at 7.00. It is idealistic to think that if I set my alarm at 7am, I will wake up at 7am, so as it is now, I set my alarm at 6.40am, allowing me 2-3 trips to the snooze button
Work is from 8.30am to 5.30pm, that is 9 hours (including lunch break) spent being at work.
After work is the drive back home which is also about 1 hour, meaning that if leave work at 5.30pm, I will reach home by 6.30pm. Sometimes when it rains or is the last day before a long weekend (like before CNY holidays) its a little more jammed, therefore I will reach home at 7pm.
Upon reaching home, stretching out chilling and showering would take about an hour, making it 8pm.
Then theres dinner, which I will also allocate about an hour, so that brings us to 9pm.
I don't know what is the universally accepted average hours of sleeping, but in my books, a good sleep is at least 7 hours (8 hours is ideal)
Having to wake up at 6.40am, that would mean that I should be in bed by 11.40pm
Which means, after dinner at about 9pm, that would give me approximately 2 hours and 40 minutes to do whatever I want. whoa...

So lets say I see a friend for dinner, maybe from like 8pm, I can chill for about 3 hours and 40 minutes (of course, this is the ideal way). Take into consideration that there are other things that I wanna do like watch TV shows, go online, talk on the phone and etc, that would leave me with not much time at all. So I've been pushing back my sleeping time, sleeping at about 2am, giving me about 4 hours + of sleep everyday.
This fatigue obviously piles on and sometimes I find myself accidentaly dozing off during work (not while driving, don't worry) and this cycle repeats itself until the weekends, where I cash in all the "lack of sleep" coupons and try to get well rested. This of course is not always the case as there's always something to do during the weekends.

I'm gonna stop with all the time calculations because I am boring myself (and making me feel sad at the same time) so I think it will suffice to say that working like this takes up all your time.
After a while I'm sure I'll get hit with the reality of all the things that I've been missing or miss doing, be it going to the movies (which I used to take for granted) or meeting up with friends.
This is kind of how people lose touch I think, not specifically through work, but more through being occupied with so many different things that need more priority. I can't even imagine how much more complicated the time equation will become when you start a family!

I don't really like the direction this kind of job will take me, maybe it's just not for me, or maybe it's one of those things I'll start doing for a bit, telling myself its only for a bit, and wake up from the daily routines 5 years later and wonder, "where did all the time go?"...

Depressing? You bet! All the more reason to work hard for a job that you'll love though! I guess it's good that I took this job, it helps in figuring out what kind of life do I want 10 years from now.
I hate growing up :-(

Take care and have a nice day.

0 comments: