So I've been reading a few articles and comments about Martin Juza getting disqualified at GP Singapore, and most of them mainly say that I'm a dumbass and it was my mistake and blaa blaa blaa. It's important to note that most of the people talking weren't even there, so, naturally, it's easy to take sides when the information is vague. Thankfully, nobody reads this blog so I probably won't receive a bunch of "intellectual retaliations" but for my own sake, I'm gonna write about what happened in more detail.
It was round 10, with both of us sitting at 8-1 and it was game 3.
We were playing normally and at the end of my draw step, he plays a Vendilion Clique. This is where all the drama starts. Vendilion hits play and I thought for a while and proceeded to path to exile it. He removes it from the game and searches up a basic land to put into play. I then proceeded to reveal my hand by putting it on the table. He looked at my hand, writes its contents down, looks at his hand, thinks for over 1 minute, and proceeded to tell me that he targets himself with the Vendilion. (This is my exact explaination to the judge and Juza himself said that that was exactly what happened) Needless to say, this was the point that I called a judge.
I explained to the judge that I understand that it is my fault for revealing my hand without a target being declared, but I also said that, it was one of those "understood" gestures. He did cast Vendilion against me in the previous game, and it in fact happened the same way, and in no way did he say that I did not declare a target yet and such, because we both understood that he was targeting me.
I went to Singapore with a "have fun" mindset. I wasn't feeling very competitive and I was just happy to make day 2. If he had just looked at my hand, quickly remembered the content and told me that he was targeting himself right then, I would have just said that I'm a dumbass, picked up my cards and just continue, but when, first of all, you cast it at the end of my draw step, then act like you're considering which card to put at the bottom (or not to put) by looking at it over a minute and looking at your hand to help you decide and THEN proceeds to tell me you're targeting yourself, I'm definitely calling a judge.
I told the judge that I'd understand if it was a misunderstanding, but give the circumstances of how it happened, it is hard not to question the intent of that play.
Attempting to cheat is a serious offence, which is why the judges were trying to figure out whether he really did want to target himself, or was he just taking advantage of the situation after realizing that he does not want to put any of my cards down and had something he wouldn't mind putting down to get another card instead.
I did not come up with the ruling, and to be honest, I myself was surprised with the ruling, but, reread the circumstances above, think about it, and consider the intent, as in, what did he originally plan to do. If you still believe that he did want to target himself after all, then I guess the judge messed up. Unfortunately, I believe otherwise.
On a lighter note, after 10-4 performance and my 4-1 performance at the grinders the day before, I am currently the number 1 ranked composite and total player in Malaysia! :-)
It was quite sad to have been at 10-1, needing just one more win out of the last 3 rounds and losing all 3, but oh well, I guess I can't complain, I did better than I expected (although, not having a crappy tiebreaker to push me to number 17 and robbing me out of USD$100 would have been nice, but oh well, not everyday is Sunday... )
Although I finished Top 32 like in Manila, since they lowered the prize payout, I only got USD$400 instead of the last year's payout of USD$500, but.oh.well.
Will be quite sometime before the cheque arrives though *sigh*
Take care and have a nice day.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Intention?
Posted by Icky at 11:57 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment